Life, Blog Neglect, and Corona Virus

As I'm typing this, I'm at my very cluttered desk looking out the window at 4 bunnies engaged in a game of chase in my neighbor's backyard.  My husband is on a conference call upstairs, and my son is in his room taking college Chemistry online.  Sari is downstairs doing some combination of working math problems and TV watching.  Scott is probably asleep after a late-night gaming session, and Mimi, ironically enough, is at her boyfriend's house for the week. 

In SO many ways, I feel like Alice stepping through the looking glass.  If you had told me the whole world would shut down over a virus with questionable net effects on a majority of the population, I would have said you were CRAZY.  I mean, an outbreak of Ebola-I'm ALL IN for a shut down.  But this seems a bit crazy for me that we are shutting down the world for an upper respiratory virus.  I am NOT meaning to negate the seriousness of it for people in the "at risk" group (which I fall in with autoimmune issues). I know people have died from Corona, and I don't mean to make light of their deaths at all.  But as more and more info is coming in and the true mortality rate is being assessed WAY lower than first predicted, it's just surreal to have events like Prom and graduation cancelled for high school when those demographics as among the least likely to be adversely affected by the virus.  For all the talk from por-vaxxers about "herd immunity", we are doing everything in our power to insure we DON'T achieve that with all this isolation of the non-high-risk population.

On the flip side, I LOVE this shelter-at-home order.  It's right up my alley.  An introvert's dream.  You could command me to stay at home forever, and I'd be fine as long as I have access to some good books.  It's my concern over our blatant disregard of our constitutional rights (the securing of which resulted in WAY more deaths when you factor proportional population) that has me concerned.  I'm fairly certain our governments, especially the state governments, have WAY overstepped their legal limits of power and WAY infringed on our rights.  Here in NC, a "reopen NC" protester was arrested and protestors were told to disband because some violated the social distancing guidelines...if we are arresting peaceful protestors who didn't break any LAWS, we are in a bad place.    While you won't find me at a protest-it's not my style-I do feel like this blog is a place I can speak out for sanity.  The fact that I'm teaching American Government in the fall also contributes to my interest in how this is all being handled for sure, as I am certain it will be a hot topic.

This is what I know.  God has it all in control.  He is El Elyon-God Most High.  Nothing is beyond His control.  Nothing happens that He doesn't either initiate or allow.  This virus didn't catch Him by surprise, and NO ONE dies before their time.  That time might not suit us.  Might not be when and how we anticipated.  But it's His timing.  Always.  In Everything.  And it's always perfect.  So I face Corona with a modicum of respect but completely without fear.

Through this all, I've been thinking I  would love to blog again, but I've been very active with other things that I had neglected as well.  I've completely weeded our front flower beds and done rock edging around all the beds, including the mailbox.  I bought a TON of plants and got them planted.  I also bought a peach to replace ours that died, and got that planted as well.  Today I scrubbed our shower with the proverbial fine tooth comb (and it still looks awful-our shower is the one feature I HATE in this house).  I've started a successful sourdough starter and made some bread, and also bottled my first home-brewed Kombucha.  I've still been teaching my photography class online, and I've been handling all the music for the Deaf for our Sunday AM church livecast.  Oh, and I've done two virtual choir projects in voice and sign....So I've been busy.  But today I felt like I wanted to say a little something here.  Hoping I can keep it up for my own sanity.

Here's one of the virtual choir projects.  The other will be released next Sunday.

Is He Worthy

A few of my projects:


OBM

Comments

Popular Posts