Exploramania GyMathics DVD Review


As a member of the TOS Crew, I received a copy of Exploramania's GyMathics DVD. GyMathics combines math with an exercise video to appeal to kids on a multi-sensory level and use the advantages of exercise on brain development to help the students learn math facts. The video is the brain child of Carrie Scheiner, and she and a neighbor created the exercise routines and the accompanying math tidbits that go with them. For example, while keeping your arms straight and touching your knees and then reaching those same straight arms up to the sky, the math information given is about parallel lines, intersecting lines, and perpendicular lines.
The pros: There is plenty of research to support using multiple educational approaches to help students learn things better and on a deeper level. And GyMathics definitely gets them up and moving while they are being introduced to different math concepts. And because the math is integrated with the exercise, even my 4 year old was learning concepts-and many of them well beyond what you would expect a typical 4 year old to know (prime numbers, etc.). And the video also incorporates positive life choices like choosing health snacks, so there is application beyond the math and exercise too.
The cons: The video is painfully cheesy. At least for ME to watch. My 4 year old loves it! But even my 10 year old gives a nod to the exercise as providing a good workout, but called the actual video "boring". My 12 year old did actually get off the couch and join in for the last 5 minutes though, so that says something. The music is not the best, and the quality of the video does not, in my opinion, line up with the price ($24.95).
The bottom line: At $10, I'd think this was a better deal for sure. At $25, it's a lot of money for something that my one daughter found "boring". I'm not one to let my children dictate what we do, but I also wouldn't fight the battle to MAKE her watch this. If you really would have your kids watch an exercise video, then this would be a perfect product for you. For us, watching exercise videos not something I would normally have them do, so it's not a product I would normally have sought out or purchased. I do think the company has children and learning as their focus, and they offer a very unique product for sure, it's just not the right fit for my family.
To check this DVD or Exploramania's other products out for yourself (which I ALWAYS recommend) go HERE. To read what other members of the TOS Crew had to say, go HERE.

Comments

Popular Posts