D is for Disney


I mean, come on, if you know me at all, this was a no-brainer!  My first memory of Disney in general was watching The Wonderful World of Disney.  Then, when I was about 9, we drove across the country from New York (yes, my parents were crazy) and went to visit friends and family in CA...and Disneyland.  I'm fairly certain we did that another time as well.  When I was in 6th grade, one of my best friends at the time invited me to go with them to Disney World.  Epcot had just opened, to put things in time perspective, but my biggest memory is the lobby of the Polynesian.  I was BLOWN AWAY.  My family had never stayed at anything nicer than a Ho-Jos or a Days Inn, and here was a hotel with a waterfall and live birds in the lobby!


Maybe Disney is in my blood, because my mother and step father actually honeymooned at Disney...and then promptly moved to central FL 2 years later.  So it only made sense that when I moved to FL to join them (for college), I would seek out a job there.  Just a summer job, mind you.  Just until classes started in the fall...except that that job lasted 10 years.  I was hooked.  I went from attractions, to marketing, to guest relations, to Disney University/Institute.  I also worked on the 25th Anniversary press event.  I was responsible for bringing 1000 boys and girls from Boys and Girls clubs around the country to Disney for the trip of a lifetime.  It was an honor to be part of that.


I love passing on the Disney legacy to my kids.  I'm so thankful to my brother, whose generous birthday/Christmas gifts for my children have meant that we have been able to have passes for a few years.  My kids know Disney like the back of their hand, and they love it too.




Comments

Popular Posts