We Choose Virtues Review--Revisited

About a year ago, I had the chance to take a look at We Choose Virtues for the first time. By clicking here, you can read my original review of We Choose Virtues.  Recently, I was asked to take a look at them again, and the timing couldn't have been better.



We Choose Virtues is a company whose products are designed to help you teach your elementary aged children about different virtues: 12 of them in fact.  For each of those 12 virtues (attentive, content, diligent, perseverant, self-controlled, patient, forgiving, gentle, helpful, honest, obedient, and kind), there is a "catchphrase".  This is a positive action that applies to the virtue, such as "I have my 'wanter' under control" for the virtue "content".  Each virtue has a "person" too, so that they have someone to visualize who represents that virtue, like Cake Jake for content.  There is also a sentence that defines the virtue in the negative such as "I am NOT...bored, greedy, or always wanting more, and I don't beg or whine."  And if you choose the Christian variation, there is a Bible verse for each virtue.

Flash Cards- $14.99

We received the Virtue Flash Cards, a sample Parenting Card, and the downloadable Teacher's Handbook, Coloring Book, and the Official Butterfly Award.  I knew from past experience that my biggest challenge was making sure I implemented the virtues methodically, so I planned out our next few weeks by choosing one virtue to focus on for that week.  Although 2 of my 4 kids are really older than the targeted age, I had them all use the program.  The virtue's catchphrase became their handwriting practice for the week.  The older kids also wrote the "I am not..." statement.  And for the 3 oldest, I used the virtues and their catchphrases for their spelling and vocab for the first week we did used the program.  Since we were having some issues with kindness in our house, we started with I am kind.  What's funny though is that even though we haven't done obedience, just revisiting WCV has made my youngest really key in to the obedience catchphrase again.  When I ask her to do something, she responds with, "Okay, what ever you say, I'll obey, right away." even though it's been a year since we reviewed WCV last.

Coloring Book- Downloadable for $3

The pros:  Obviously, the catchphrases have "staying power" since my daughter has held on to some of them over time even when I have been lax in reminding them.  I love that the products are simple to use too.  And the artwork is darling.  My youngest was especially fond of the coloring book, and I let her color each character as we covered their virtue.

The cons:  None really, but if you are tempted to take the cheap way out and just get the cards, I'd say it's definitely helpful to have the Teacher's Handbook ($5 for a downloadable PDF) to have ideas for implementing the virtues and being diligent in practicing them.

Homeschool Kit $98.99

The bottom line:  We choose virtues in our house, as I think everyone should.  But all you have to do is make a quick trip to the store to see that's not the case universally.  I love the tools We Choose Virtues offers to help train up children in the way they should go.  And I really like having simple phrases I can use to remind them when they need to correct their behavior.  If this sounds good to you, I have great news.  Through the end of April, WCV is offering 20% off their homeschool kit with the code HOME20.  Or you can use the code VIRTUE15 to save 15%  on your order anytime, with no expiration.  You can not combine the discounts, so you can practice being content with just using one or the other :-).

For more helpful hints on teaching children virtues, be sure to visit the WCV blog or their Facebook page.  To see what other members of the Mosaic Review Crew had to say, visit the Mosaic Reviews Blog.


Comments

Popular Posts