Best Part of My Day-December 31

New Year's Eve.  We are at my in-laws' house now.  My father in law bought me Talenti Peppermint Bark Gelato.  Yum!  So the best part of my day technically happened after midnight, but hey, it's New Year's Eve, so it's all still the same day, right?  Anyway, part of the best part is getting to watch the ball drop.  I know it sounds silly, but for my whole life that has been my ritual.  Watch the ball drop to signify the beginning of the new year.  However, when we got rid of cable, we lost the ability to see the ball drop.  That and the Macy's Thanksgiving parade are the two things I most miss about not having "live" TV.  But because we are at my in-laws' house, and they have xfinity, we watched the ball drop tonight.

But the best part of my night wasn't the ball, or the bonfire, or the smores, or even the fact that we were doing all of that in and out of the rain.  No, the best part of New Year's Eve was my m-i-l's wacky New Year's Eve ritual.  She took down her biggest pot and a big wooden spoon and as soon as it was midnight, she went out into her front yard and started banging her pot to beat the band.  This went on for about a minute.  It was a RIOT.  You'd have to know my m-i-l, but this is someone who has cloth napkins at every meal.  She's not the "bang on a pot in your front yard in full view of the neighbors" kind of gal.  THAT was the best part of my day.  Her calling us party-poopers for not joining her was priceless too.  Next year, I'll have to get video.


Comments

Popular Posts