Thursday, March 6, 2014
It's time for Three Things Thursday, the one day you know there will be new content on my blog these days, LOL.
This week brings you 3 totally random things for no particular reasons:
1) My husband was just unpacking a box full of music CDs and one of them that he came across was The Rock and the Rabbi, which he promptly put in. I love The Rock and the Rabbi.
2) I don't like veggies. Really. I know, I know, I should like veggies, but really, I don't. And I really don't like avocado because to me it tastes very green. But tonight I made some rockin guacamole. Really, really good. Like I would eat it good. Well, I would eat everything but the except for the chunks of tomato in it, but I digress.
3) Lastly, I'm stinky at self promotion. Really not good at it. I never have been, and I probably never will be. It's why "networking" in my working life was always so uncomfortable. But since it was actually published today, I figured it would be wise of me to mention my March article on Home and School Mosaics. You can read The Promises of Spring and other great articles by clicking the link.
To join in Three Things Thursday, just link up at Heidi's Head.
Thursday, February 27, 2014
How is it that Thursday always sneaks up on me? It's time for Three Things Thursday, where I share 3 random things about me. If you'd like to play along, you can visit my friend Heidi's blog-Heidi's Head-and link up.
So here are my things:
1) We went to a Valentine's Day party yesterday (it was rescheduled because of snow-here's what it looked like the Wednesday of Valentine's week).
Anyway, I only knew one person there, and I had only briefly met her, but she was kind enough to invite us to their party. The group was small, and very nice. I only had my 2 younger kids with me, and both of them had fun. After two moms there brought up how they had always wanted to do them, I found myself talking to them about Disney's Y.E.S. programs rather passionately and I'm pretty sure they think I'm a nut job now...sigh...you can take the girl away from Disney, but not take Disney out of the girl.
2) I made awesome sweet potatoes today. Can I be honest? I've never made my own mashed sweet potatoes before. I don't know why. I've baked them, but not mashed them. Well tonight my only oven was occupied, and so the only option for the potatoes was dicing, boiling, and mashing. So a
3) Downton Abbey is the best TV show. Really. I just watched the season finale for the current season (LOVE PBS for streaming their current shows online). It's definitely a show I'd own on DVD when the series ends, not that I'm in any hurry for that to happen.
And can I add:
Hey y'all- this little cutie patootie had surgery today:
He's doing well-he had his adenoids out and a questionable skin lesion removed-but if you could keep him in your prayers that would be great. He's our neighbors' little boy.
Thursday, February 20, 2014
It's time for Three Things Thursday, where I share 3 totally random things about me.
1) I shared before that I was born in Buffalo, but we moved when I was 9 to Memphis, TN. That was total culture shock. I went from a world where saying "yes, ma'am" would have been considered snarky and sarcastic and totally disrespectful to a world where NOT saying "yes, ma'am" was considered a capital offense. It also took me forever to get used to people saying "far" instead of fire, and I frequently had no idea if someone was asking for a "pin" or a "pen". But I came to love the south, and for the longest time, even after moving away from there, I considered Memphis (okay, Germantown really) my home.
2) Memphis has the best barbecue, and in May they host Memphis in May- a whole month devoted to the celebration of another country and the celebration of barbecue. One year, thanks to connections of a friend's family, I got to attend the actual BBQ cookoff and try the winning BBQ. Very yummy.
3) I loved that Memphis was on the Mississippi. The river was the site of all the city gatherings. The fireworks were viewed from the banks of the Mississippi and launched from a barge on the river. Memphis in May events take place there. Paddlewheel boats abound still on the river, and Mud Island, a sandbar turned tourist attraction was an amazing venue for outdoor concerts.
I haven't been back to Memphis in over 2 decades, but I hope some day to take my family and visit all the wonderful locales Memphis has to offer.
If you'd like to hook up with Three Things Thursday, visit my friend Heidi's blog.
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
|Mimi got a Thomas Kincade Disney puzzle for Christmas which she worked hard to put together.|
|We did some baking- Yummy scones :-)|
|It was super cold one day, so we had some bubble fun|
|This is a freezing bubble|
|Broken frozen bubble|
|Frozen colored water balloons- super easy and sooo pretty|
|Mimi designed this on Always Ice Cream, and lots of other things too. Her Frozen based things were very popular.|
|Family game time|
|Sari got a glitter tattoo kit for Christmas, and I got a glitter tattoo, or two, or three :-)|
|We raked a TON of leaves out to the curb so the leaf sucker truck could come get them.|
|Mimi started on a green smoothie kick|
We visited a new park with some friends. This park has some cool rocks to climb and some awesome slides and slide hills.
Later that same evening we got our first snow. It was big fluffy flakes, and although we only got a dusting, the kids made the most of it-even making a snowman.
We've taken in some of the local culinary offerings...Goodberry's Frozen Custard and the Mellow Mushroom (oh, YUM!)
We had another super cold snap, and supercooled some soda outside. When you open the bottle and shake it a tad, it instantly turns to slush-WAY cool.
And at the very end of the month, we got another snow. A real one this time.
The kids had a ton of fun...
|TJ playing dead...I said do something "TJ like", and this is what he came up with...silly boy.|
|4 kids in the picture, but 2 aren't even mine. With public school out, we become the Kool-Aid house (you know, the one where everyone gathers.)|
Sari doing her best "Let It Go" impression...
Finally, Sari has made a good friend, and they live near us. Here the girls are enjoying hot apple cider. Real hot apple cider. Like the kind made from apples that were juiced while we were there. YUM!