The reason for my silence...

We've been in "gardening mode". Above, you can see a teeny, tiny, tomato plant poking out of the bottom of the hanging basket. Last year, my upside-down plants grew well, but my yield was not great. My friends Presley, Kiwi, and SK all have embraced the Square Foot Garden concept, and this year, I've jumped on the bandwagon too. Below are pictures of our two boxes. My husband, the computer genius, is also pretty handy with woodworking, and he made our lovely boxes last week-end. I helped by rubbing them with linseed oil so they will hopefully last longer.



Today, I planted the boxes with Marigolds and Sunflowers...since I don't care for vegetables at all, LOL. Actually, I did plant marigolds for their pest repellent qualities, and sunflowers because the hubs and kids like the seeds, but I planted plenty of veggies too. I planted 4 broccoli plants, 8 romaine lettuce, one okra, 32 carrots, 16 onions, 4 tomatoes (plus two more hanging ones), 5 sweet peppers, and a partridge in a pear tree...just kidding...I'm just checking to see if you are paying attention. Anyway, that may not be everything, but it's what I remember without looking. Oh, peas...I planted 16 pea plants too.

The one thing that strikes me is how RIDICULOUSLY expensive gardening is. I'm sure it balances out after the start-up costs, but YIKES! this stuff is expensive.
I'll keep you posted, but I have to run now, it's family game night.

Comments

Melissa said…
Looks great! Bring on the veggies!
Anonymous said…
Yay! I am so thrilled for you. Yes, it is expensive initially, but it does balance out.

Popular Posts