A Volleyball Life

Today is volleyball.  Four years ago, my oldest daughter, on a whim, decided she wanted to play volleyball.  That first season led her to develop a friendship with the head coach's daughter (they moved from FL too, and had lived less than 10 miles from where we lived).  As we headed into the next year and second season, that coach's family was adopting internationally, and I stepped up to help run volleyball...a sport I never played (unless you count those 6 weeks in Middle School P.E. when we did volleyball as one of the 6 "rotations" that year-I don't recall being particularly good at it).  I was assistant coach of 2 teams that year...and the year after as well.  And I did most of the Admin work:ordering uniforms and t-shirt, taking care of paying the bills, etc.

Fast forward to this year.  More changes meant I still did the Admin work, but I also was the head coach of the middle school team.  My girlies had an awesome season, and they won 10 games and lost 2.  It was even more special because only 3 of the 8 had ever played before, and EVERYONE played in every game.

In past years, our season ended in October and that was really the end of it until the next May, but this year, post season, we had some even bigger changes, with a new Athletic Director who handles all the coaching and training related issues, and me taking over all the Admin, and possibly not coaching at all.  It's an exciting time for us, but one full of change too.  Where our v'ball has always been only for homeschool girls, now, for the winter and spring, it's open to boys and girls of any type of school background.  The response has been phenomenal, with over 60 interested students, most of which aren't even "our girls", as they are currently playing Club ball for other teams.

And so today, I have volleyball.  Now my youngest daughter is the one playing, but her slightly older brother is honing his skills at our clinics as well.

It's a volleyball life!
My Middle School Team-such sweet girls!

Comments

Popular Posts