To Co-op or not to Co-op

First day of co-op selfie

When my kids were little, we NEVER participated in co-ops.  There were some around, but I never felt the need, preferring to set my own schedule and choose my own curriculum.  And the one brush with a co-op we did have ended horribly, so it made me wary to try it again.  But then we moved, and when you move with teens and you homeschool, it gets harder for them to meet their peers, especially if they are introverted like two of mine are.

So first we joined a local homeschool group...and that helped a bit.  One of my daughter's best friends here came from that group, and it gave me some connections and starting points...but there wasn't that instant connection, and a feeling of belonging, despite the fact that I eventually became a board member, and still technically help run the group.

Through my BFF Amy, who was literally the FIRST person I met here in NC, I learned of a co-op, and after some kicking against the goads about the loss of control of my schedule and my life, we joined, and it has been a TOTAL blessing.

Through the co-op, my kids have taken their sciences with other kids, and I haven't had to secure random components for each experiment.  My son took a 3 year apologetics class, and he's currently studying Christ and the Classics and taking ACT Prep.  My older daughter took art classes, SAT Prep, and a teen girls' Bible Study.  And my youngest gets to feed her love of babies by using one of her class hours to work in the nursery.  Oh, and my son got a JOB based on his tech work at co-op, and has found the field he wishes to pursue.

So co-op started today for the spring semester.  We have 473 people this spring (kids and adults) representing 39 churches.  I don't know everyone...but I know a LOT of them.  I'm on the leadership committee, and head up our Early Elementary classes and our Family Night.  I also am teaching Middle School Photography.  When co-op is over at noon-ish, many people head to the park (even the older kids) to continue the fellowship.  After co-op this week, it was cold (38 degrees), so some of us headed to the mall.  We ate, the kids talked and shopped, and 3 of us moms chatted...until 4!  They aren't even moms I'm super close to, but it was great fun to be able to just hang out and talk and get to know them better.

For the photography teacher, I'm horrible at taking pictures of events like co-op, but I have a "first day" selfie above for your entertainment, lol.  It's going to be a great spring!


Comments

Popular Posts