I'm not gifted in prophecy...

but I can tell you how this is going to go.

I was away for the worst 24 hour period of rain and wind associated with Tropical Storm Fay last week. Mimi was with me. Well, Saturday when I walked into her room I could smell that smell. You know. The one that smells like a mix of cat pee (and we don't have a cat) and mildew. Yep. The all-too-familiar, in this house at least, smell of wet carpet.

But we had a busy week-end. Crazy busy.

And sometimes, I enjoy living in the land of denial.

But today, as the smell is now all pervasive in the main living areas of the house, I realized it was not going to just dry up on its own and go bye-bye.

It didn't take long to find it.

If you can visualize, her room is 19 feet long...and 7 feet across. Yes, it's an old house, and nothing is normal. It would appear that water came in and drenched oh, at least 8 feet along the wall, and out a distance into the room. And the wood panel on the back of her dresser, which now resembles a fun house mirror. And the doll house that my grandfather built for my mom when she was a little girl-the carpet under that even had fuzzy mold spore growing on it. YUM! I have yet to tip the house over and actually view the bottom because I need to move all the furniture out of it first.

I'm still moving things to see how far this goes, but as far as I can see, the carpet will need to be removed and new flooring put down.

Here's where the not-so-prophetic part comes in. I am sure insurance won't cover it. Why? Because it's my life, and we've had stuff like this happen before. See, eons ago, long before we bought this house, Mimi's room used to be a porch, and as such, it had little drainage holes in the half wall along the front of the porch. When the porch was enclosed they filled those holes, and we've not had a problem for the 7 1/2 years we've been here with any of those holes leaking.

Until now.

Now, I'm fairly certain that's where the water came in, although there is no clearly visible "hole". And as such, I am fairly certain they will say that it is poor craftsmanship, not the weather, that is responsible for the water getting in. And they don't cover poor craftsmanship.

I'd LOVE to be wrong about this!!!! And I have a call in to the insurance company. But if y'all could join me in praying that it WILL be covered, that would be great. Obviously, we have a deductible, and it may be that the cost of the repairs won't exceed that anyway, which has also happened before, but I'd love it if it was at least partially covered. Her floor is concrete under the carpet, so at least there was no under-flooring that was damaged (that I know of at least). We've been wanting to removed our carpet anyway, so this flooding is really a blessing too.
And we were planning in switching the girls' room and TJ's room, so maybe this will be the impetus for that...and we'll just blow off the whole school year in favor of home renovations, LOL.

I'm just rambling now, so I'm going to go feed my gaggle (plus one neighbor girl who is out of school today and needed a place to be) some lunch.

obm

Comments

Melissa said…
Oh, man! What a pain! I'm sorry!
what a mess! We had a little bit of the same thing, and that smell is horrific! I am glad you said the part about it smelling like cat pee even though you do not have a cat. i was starting to worry that our cat had been peeing in our kids' rooms all along and that the wet carpet brought out the smell.
Cheryl said…
praying for you guys...
Elizabeth said…
Sorry to hear that you have some damage.. We do too and also wondering what will be covered.
Lisa said…
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I'm sorry...I know that smell too...we had it from Charley and Frances. Ick...
Hey, I know a place with good prices on laminate ;)...
crispy said…
I was wondering if you were going to have some damage from the storm. Sorry to hear that you do have some. Hopefully it gets cleared up soon.

Popular Posts