It was an interesting morning


We started out with a juvenile red shouldered hawk in our yard this morning. It was a baby from our nest. (Well, actually there were two hawks...but one of them was dead.) Apparently, some freak gust of wind blew them out of the nest last night, and one must have hit a branch on the way down and it died.
The other one? Well, it was calling, and calling, and CALLING for its parents, but they apparently abandoned the nest as soon as there were no babies there. We kept a watch on it from the house (and outside from a distance) for an hour and a half, but no sign of the adults.
So what do you do?
Well, you call animal control because it is the only number in the phone book. And ironically, that turned out to be the right place. The girl there was very helpful. She wanted to wait another hour or so to be SURE it was orphaned, but she said they could come get it and take it to a rehab location if the adults did not show up.
So we waited, and did our school in the meantime. We played the geography game, and the kids watched a travel video of Europe while I spoke with PH (who called from NC) for a while. Then we read a few stories from different parts of Europe, had a snack of Camembert and crackers, and I called Animal control back to come get the bird. They arrived within 30 minutes, and were able to subdue the bird just by gently placing a towel over it, and then wrapping it in the towel to put it in the crate. It turns out the bird did not even have its flight feathers yet, so it had no hope of getting to the nest even if the parents were around. They will take it to a Bird of Prey Rehab place, and it will be fine. YEA! Oh, and I even sweet-talked the guy into taking the dead one away too. I'm sad that our hawks are gone, but hopefully they will return next year.

After lunch, we finished our Geography game, and I did reading with Scott. He also practiced piano a bit too. Mimi worked on cleaning her room and also started sewing the bag she is making for my sister. I think she is ruing having a perfectionist mom, since I ripped out her stitches twice, but it is coming along.

(Yesterday we did silhouettes, which I forgot to blog about, but they turned out well. I traced an cut them out, they just had to sit still. I would have let them do it, but the light source was not great, and so the edges were not well enough defined for them to trace and have the silhouette be even remotely recognizable.)

This afternoon, I drove to a nearby city with a scholastic warehouse for their warehouse sale. I got some really cool things, which I would share here, but some of your children will be getting them as gifts when birthdays roll around, and I'd hate to ruin the surprise, LOL.

I then went to Joann Fabrics to get some of the things our local store doesn't carry, and because I may never be able to set foot in our store again, but that's another story.

On the way home, I got an iced coffee since I was getting a migraine, and that seems to have helped...but I may never sleep tonight, LOL. That's okay though because Sari just woke up (she is potty trained now and had to go potty...but that woke her up. And now? Well, she may be up a while!)
Gotta go deal with a not-so sleepy 3 year old.
obm

Comments

Julie said…
Where's a picture of the hawk?
oneblessedmamma said…
I just uploaded it. My computer savvy husband did not load anything on this computer to download photos until YESTERDAY. SO it took a while. Now, I have a TON of blog posts to do, LOL.
Tiffany said…
Wow! That's quite a day. That's sad that the hawk was orphaned but cool that you could see it up close and get a lesson in nature. I'm surprised the parents had already left. Maybe they were watching from a distance just waiting for you to step in and save their baby...:0)
I'm jealous that you've made it to the scholastic sale. I don't think I'm going to get there this year.

Popular Posts