Day Fifteen

More Egypt :-). We are going to mummify a cat. NO, not one of ours...not even a real one. It's a craft involving a tea stained sock stuffed with plastic bags, but it looks cool. We did the staining today-assembly will come tomorrow. I finished reading A Place in the Sun to the kids and we all enjoyed it. It's well written and gives a real sense for what life in ancient Egypt was like. While I read, they worked on some worksheets I downloaded from Enchanted Learning. I LOVE that site. Our homeschool group pays for a group subscription, and I think it's money well spent.
In the afternoon, we went to our usual Friday haunt...yes, I know it's not Friday, LOL. But Friday wasn't going to work for us, so today was a substitute.
I love it when "school" is just what you do on a walk in the woods. The kids were playing in a stream and moved a log that formed a small waterfall. That led to immediate erosion of the soft silt underneath, which led to murky water, which allowed for a discussion about erosion and the the Nile, and the silt int he water, and the richness of the delta...it just goes on and on. There was also a small Oxbow that had been cut off from the main flow, so we talked about how that (if it was MUCH bigger and this small brook was a real river) would eventually form a lake. So that was social studies.

Moving on to Science, Scott continued his quest to become the next Jeff Corwin by catching THIS:
Ummm, yea, that's a 5 1/2 foot snake. A RAT snake (just in case anyone is thinking they should be calling DCF right about now). It should be added though that Scott did NOT know it was a rat snake, although he was reasonably certain it was not a poisoneous snake...

We have a man who performs for our local libraries over the summer, and his big "schtick" is that he pulls out a HUGE snake and lets a ton of people simultaneously hold it. Here are the kids reenacting that event ;-).

Here are some more pictures from today:
Did you know we have cacti in the Sunshine state? These are flowering now. Pretty, no?

The small boys sitting on a log that crosses the stream.

You know you've had fun (or too much Italian food-sorry, but I threw that in just for Aunt Fannie) when your butt looks like this ;-).

Comments

Cindy said…
what a great day! We love doing stuff like that1 I also love the Enchanted Learning site-I've done a lot of crafts, worksheets with Tucker of there! (Even though I don't homeschool, Tucker actually likes to do worksheets, mazes, etc so I'm always loooking for stuff!)
Cindy said…
oh and by the way, I'm another blogfriend that you have never met in person-but hoefully soon! :)
Cindy said…
I meant hopefully
Melissa said…
Great pics!! Looks like a great place to visit. Might take you up on your tour guide offer.
thanks for sharing your adventure!
Debbie said…
amy-your blog is really fun!! Can I not follow?? I like being handfed my updates:)!!!! regardless I will keep reading...

Popular Posts